Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Find All for Firefox somewhat alleviates crappy default Find functionality

Filed under: Mozilla, Browsers
So I don't like Firefox's native Find functionality; and it turns out I'm not the only one. There have been lots of comments on my post; the one I found most entertaining was the one calling me to "stop acting like a tabloid" - gotta love those comments!
The most useful comment, however, came from reader Ken Saunders. Ken pointed me towards Find All, which is an add-on that goes a long way to fixing the Find problem.
Basically, with Find All installed, you open the Find box normally and start typing your search string. You see the first instance highlighted on the screen, as per usual. But when you then hit Enter, something really cool happens: A new pane opens at the bottom of the window, with all instances of the word on the page, each with its context so you don't have to skip to it to see if it's relevant. A single click on the line takes you to that spot on the page and highlights the word.
In addition, all instances of the word are highlighted on the page. I know this is an option which exists without the add-on, but it's switched off by default (why, Mozilla?), and the comments to my original post show that many people are unaware of it. So Find All switches this on for you.
While the add-on has less visual flair than Opera's Find, it is very useful and I will definitely keep it installed. Thanks for the tip, Ken!Find All for Firefox somewhat alleviates crappy default Find functionality originally appeared on Download Squad on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | CommentsAUTODESK AUTOMATIC DATA PROCESSING AVNET BHARTI AIRTEL

No comments:

Post a Comment